Thursday, February 26, 2009

37 Weeks, 6 Days

I ended up just going in to see Dr. Devine today. I needed an appointment this week anyway. I woke up feeling AWFUL this morning, just the same terrible stomach upsets I've had since day one of this pregnancy, and I was secretly hoping if she saw how miserable I was, she'd be compelled to move up my c-section date. (Assuming one was scheduled for me as hoped.)

Anyway, when I got there, the nurse who was supposed to schedule my appointment was asking me if I'd seen any signs of potential labor, and I said no, and then she joked, "Well, it can't be too far off, right? I mean, we know it'll happen sometime in this month!" It didn't sound too promising that she'd remembered to schedule my c-section last week! I was getting worried.

But then the doctor came in, and I asked her about it, and it turns out they had me scheduled for the 3rd, Tuesday. That was fine and all, but I was put in the book as two slots past her noon appointment. Which would really mean a surgery time at 3:30 or 4. You can't eat after midnight the day of your surgery, so I'd go ALL day without food. Tiny snacks throughout the day and a healthy dose of Zofran are the only ways I've survived the hyperemesis this long! One nurse said, "A late c-section time would mean you would be very hungry by the time it's over," and I said, "Forget hunger, I'd be sick as a dog!" Once I throw up, I can't stop, and by just a couple of hours, I'm in need of IV fluids. It's terrible.

Seeing this, Dr.Devine called up to Labor and Delivery herself (that's how you get stuff done) and asked if there was anyway they could get me in sooner. Low and behold, there was an opening for a 7:30 a.m. c-section on Monday morning! First spot of the day! So this time, I actually do have a definite scheduled spot. No amnios, no tests, no debating over it. So tomorrow will be my last ultrasound and NST at Dr.Atkinson's office. Thank goodness!!! I was really getting worn out by those appointments.

I think it's kind of neat. My birthday is January 2nd, and his will be March 2nd. Easy enough to remember...not that I'd ever forget it.

Travis and I began the baby countdown tonight in HOURS. I can't believe it! I was also able to sit down and talk to Dr.Devine about my fears before the c-section. I've never had surgery in my life. Actually, I've never even so much as broken a bone. I just didn't quite know what to expect, despite the fact that I've been addicted to "A Baby Story" on TLC for years. It's different when it's you. She reassured me, and I'm much less anxious. I say that now, but come Sunday evening, I know I'll be a total basket case.

This whole thing is almost over, and I'll finally get to meet this kid that's caused such a ruckus for so long. Sigh.

Please continue to pray that his lungs have significantly developed, and that he's ready for delivery on Monday. Please also pray that everything goes well, and we all turn out fine. Thank you so much for keeping up with us throughout all of this. We're on the very last leg of this pregnancy journey, and God has been good.

God bless,
Kathleen and Travis

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Hon. I am so glad that you will be having Josiah on Monday. I have been praying for you, Travis, and Josiah ever since you became pregnant. I have also kept mom informed as to what is going on. I can't wait to see pics. You and Travis will be terrific parents and I am always here for you if you ever have questions. Take care, and I will be praying extra hard on Monday.

Jessica Crawford said...

You're going to have a baby in less than 24 hrs!!!! I will be praying for everyone's health and that Josiah's little lungs are strong and healthy! Good luck sweetie!

CimA said...

I just know you're getting excited and nervous all at the same time. We are praying for y'all.