Wednesday, December 24, 2008

29 Weeks, 4 Days

I've been looking towards this day for a while now. I remember when I was first in the hospital back in November, I had a very special nurse who I've since become friends with (Jenny, she's amazing), who told me about her twin girls being delivered at 29 weeks, 4 days. She received the same steroid shots that I've been given, and when she went into labor at 29 weeks, 3 days, they weren't able to delay it. She delivered them the next day, and they are now perfectly healthy happy 8 year olds. Jenny is still my night nurse, and for some reason I've placed today in my head as a goal to beat. I guess I keep thinking if her girls could survive being born at 29/4, then my son can survive being delivered later than that. So today, I've happily surpassed Jenny's twins. :)

The Christmas festivities begin today in Room 323. On our anniversary, (the 20th), Travis had little elves (our family) basically transplant our living room to my hospital room. Our full-sized Christmas tree is here, complete with lights and decorations. He also brought my nutcracker collection (which is pretty large), and our stockings up here. It looks absolutely magical in here, and makes it feel much less like a hospital room. I have nurses coming in just to see the decorations because they heard from someone that my room was so decked out. We actually had a nurse come all the way from the labor and delivery floor just to check out our Christmas tree. It kind of makes me feel special, and it keeps me in a good mood. My nurse today, Tammy, came in and said she's happy my room is so decorated because she was kind of down about having to work on Christmas Eve. I'm glad that it brightens other people as well as me.

Jessica, you asked if Travis is getting to stay with me, and he is. They have him a cot, and he sleeps next to me. It's really nice having him here. I think I would be so much more depressed if I was here alone. I can't even imagine that.

Dr. Atkinson asked if I wanted to go home for a short while tomorrow to have Christmas dinner with family, but I said no. All of our family lives here in town, so who would we spend that short period of time with?? Someone would be left out, unfortunately, and I would stress over hurting someone's feelings. It's actually much less stressful having everyone come up here to celebrate Christmas with me. My grandparents and dad are coming up here this evening, and tomorrow mom and Thomas will be stopping by for lunch with a ham. Then Friday is Travis's family. It's easier this way.

I'm working on knitting a blanket for the baby. I don't knit, and I don't have the patience to learn how, so my mom picked me up a loom the other day to make it easier. It's coming together really nicely! It feels better to be "wasting time" on something that I can actually imagine the baby using instead of just vegging out in front of the tv all day (which is easy to do when you can't get out of bed!)

I have another ultrasound on Friday morning. They want to see if he's gaining weight like he should be. Of course with IUGR babies, eventually either their heart rate will start to do scary things, indicating that they need to come out, or their weight will eventually plateau, which also lets you know they need out. I am really hoping that he reaches at least 3 pounds before he has to be born. But, if it turns out that his weight is plateauing (a sign the placenta is neglecting to give him the nutrients he needs prematurely), then he'll be delivered, and God will protect him.

One prayer Travis and I have meditated on ever since we found out that the baby was SGA is that the King will open his great robe and pull the baby close in to Him, and protect him from whatever storm might be troubling around him. I just keep praying that. God's wings are big, and the protective shadow of those wings has saved me from many a storm. I just really feel that He's here, He's listening, and that everything is going to be ok. It won't be easy, but He never said it would be. But I don't feel for one second like we're going to suffer the loss of this baby. We just pray that that would be more than we could ever handle, because we know the Lord would never give us more than we can handle.

I hope you all have a wonderful, magical Christmas Eve. Stay safe and warm.
God bless,
Kathleen and Travis

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Merry Christmas Eve, Kathleen!

Your room sounds so wonderful. I also love Christmas and actually started putting our decorations up on my birthday on Nov. 11. :) Isn't it amazing how something so simple can make everything so much brighter - I think that is part of what Christmas is all about.

I'm glad to hear that things are still going alright for you and yours. I was also really pleased to hear that Travis is able to stay with you the whole time and that your family will be coming to visit you these next few days. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas - you'll be in my thoughts.

Brandy

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry you're stuck in the hospital for christmas. travis is so wonderful....how neat for him to bring christmas to you like that. i hope you realize just how crazy blessed you are!!! i miss you so much!! i didn't even know you were pregnant until i got on facebook a while ago and so now i am crying (literally!!) tears of joy and sadness for you. i know how much you must be anticipating your son's arrival but at the same time i know that you really didn't want it like this, either. what a story of God's amazing grace you will have to tell, though, when this is all over!!! i was so encouraged to hear how upbeat you are about the whole thing, which tells me that God is realy using this situation to grow you and help you love him more.......what a wonderful christmas gift!!!! tell travis i said hi! i love you, girl, and please know that i am praying for you and your baby boy. have a wonderful christmas, beautiful!!!
Raven