Saturday, December 27, 2008

30 Weeks, 0 Days

For you formed my inward parts;
You covered me in my mother's womb.
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and
wonderfully made.
Psalm 139:13-14 NKJV

Today is a day I've been waiting and looking forward to for a very long time. There were many days in there where I didn't think I'd make it this far. Ever since week 28, I could FEEL week 30 coming. I was certain I'd make it here, and I have.

I remember when Dr. Atkinson first told me the baby was SGA, he said, "Our ultimate, greatest goal is to make it to week 37. Week 34 would be perfect, week 32 we can work with. I'll even take week 30, but he'll have to fight more. Anytime before that, and I'm concerned." So we're officially in the realm of Dr. A's comfort zone. Everyday beyond this one means two or three less days spent in NICU when he is born, whenever that may be.

I just feel so proud of myself and proud of him for making it this far. I'm proud of myself for things I can't even control, like not going into preterm labor, or not leaking amniotic fluids. Well really, I guess I'm proud of him for things outside of his control too. I'm proud of him for fighting, and being strong, and having a great heart beat and not desperately trying to come out. I'm just thrilled to know that as of right now with only thirty minutes left in the day, my son is still being fearfully and wonderfully knit together by God. I'm taking things day by day, quite literally...And since today marked the 30's, today was a great day.

Today's also the day that everyone finally learned the baby's name, which means you all get to learn it too.

His name is Josiah Thomas Glen McCullough.

Josiah, a king from the book of 1 Kings, means "The fire of the Lord" in Hebrew. We thought it was a powerful, strong name for such a little fighter.

Thomas is my brother's name. He's specifically named after my brother, although the name runs in our family from my grandfather to my great-grandfather to a great uncle and so on and so forth. But it was picked with my Thomas in mind.

Glen is Travis's dad's name as well as Travis's middle name.

He has such a long name because we wanted him to have a big, long, strong name to represent the powerful spirit we're all praying he has. The Lord has watched him so carefully and so closely to this point, and He's made him so incredibly strong. I just feel like he's already earned himself such a name.

This is completely off topic, but my nurse just came in and made me feel guilty about staying up late every night like I'm a little kid or something. I'm on strict bed rest. I do nothing but doze and knit all day. Going to sleep at night isn't exactly easy. Now I feel bad. Ugh.

Now you guys all know his name, so those of you who are so kindly praying for him can pray for him by name. Thank you all so much for your continued support.
God bless,
Kathleen and Travis

2 comments:

CimA said...

Yea for 30 weeks! I was at this point with Emma when Aaron got electrocuted. I think his doctors and nurses were more worried about me going into labor than Aaron's burns. Ha! Josiah Thomas Glen McCullough is a beautiful name...perfect for such a strong little guy.

Anonymous said...

How Great is our God!! This was in one of the songs that was sung at church this morning, and it gave me so much peace and truth. Our Great and Wonderful God is in control and has been from the moment little Josiah Thomas Glen was conceived. I have always believed and always taught Travis that everything that happens in our lives happens for a reason and to allow God to mold us into the people He wants us to become. Can you imagine what plans God has for our little boy?

I too feel that if you could make it to week 30, everyday past that will just be a special blessing from God. I continue to pray that Josiah will grow bigger and stronger each day. And that He will continue to give you and Travis comfort and peace and strength to endure the ups and downs of each day until you hold little Josiah in your arms.

I Love You,
Cindy