Wednesday, January 28, 2009

34 Weeks, 3 Days

It's incredibly late, and I'm super tired, but I had to post this because I thought it was funny.

I braved the weather today to make it into Lubbock for an NST, and while the nurse was getting me all set up, we started talking. She said something about going into preterm labor with her son at 34 weeks and then delivering at 37 weeks, and being placed on bed rest in between.

The conversation went something like this:

Nurse: I know you're getting miserable, but you're so incredibly close to the end now! And really, when you think about it, a week really does fly by without you even realizing it.

Kathleen: Well, it really doesn't fly by for me... Sometimes it's hard to make it hour by hour, but I do realize that this is very close to the end. Sometimes I just feel like the world is spinning around me, and everything is changing, but I stay the same. Still stuck in bed. Still sick. Still miserable. Still pregnant.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the world going by without you in it. Try being on bed rest for three whole weeks. And, better yet, try being on bed rest during Christmas. That'll make you feel really out of the loop and out of the family and everything!

Hm... This is where Kathleen tries her hardest not to be tacky to this woman, who obviously feels she deserves some kind of medal for her three weeks...

Um, well, I was on bed rest over Christmas. Hospital bed rest. And I ended up in the hospital over Thanksgiving weekend. And my first anniversary. And my husband's birthday. And my birthday. And New Year's. And then I came home and was on complete bed rest during the presidential inauguration, and missed everything while the entire world around me and history literally changed. So...yeah.

Yeah, then I guess you definitely know how hard it is!

Cough... yes, I do... I'm not so sure YOU do, however... lol

Yeah...

Wasn't this conversation supposed to be her encouraging me that it's almost over, and then sharing her war wounds to make me feel better? Something has backfired in our exchange...

Yep, I delivered at 37 weeks, and he was only 6 pounds, 5 ounces. Tiny. And I know if I had not gone into preterm labor, and he'd been born at 39 weeks, I would've had an 8 pound baby. He's still smaller than his brother.

It was at this point that my mom, who was in the room, spoke up and said something:

Sharon: Well, he is SGA, so when we heard he'd reached 3 pounds, we were thrilled. Really six pounds is a very good size for a baby at 37 weeks. And, just to clarify, she hasn't just been on bed rest since Christmas. She's been on bed rest since her hyperemesis sent her to the emergency room in July. So she's REALLY ready for this to be done.


Ohhh... you've got an SGA? Yeah, that does complicate things a bit... And that HG can be nasty...

Then she left. I just thought it was really humorous that she was so emphatic about her experience. I guess everyone who has a less than ideal pregnancy or birthing experience feels they have the story that takes the cake. Even I do that sometimes, but I try to remain aware that it could be MUCH worse, and even in all the frustrations and pains I have, God has continued to bless us. When I told Travis about her, he just laughed and said, "When she pulled out her little three week bed rest sob story, I don't think she realized that you're the queen of all things crazy in pregnancy...Which is really not a smart assumption to make as a nurse in a high risk doctor's office!" Lol.

Good night!

God bless,
Kathleen and Travis

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat!

I thought I would take a break from work to catch up and see how Josiah and you were doing!

I am sure that the nurse was just trying to relate to you in her own way...appearances of "one upping" can be someone just trying to relate even though it seems like the complete opposite! :) But hopefully she knows that no matter the degree, a loss is a loss, a struggle is a struggle. Each experience is the individual's reality and is very personal.:)

Overall, 3 lbs is great for Josiah! I believe that all children grow and develop in their own sweet time so I don't believe in those growth and development charts just so there is progress!...and there is!

Keep up the great work (I believe it is work to have to stay in bed all day!)...you can do it!

CimA said...

Yea for 3 lb!! It is great that he has grown that much since your last ultrasound. I can't imagine how frustrating bed rest is for you. At least now you know that Travis is closer and not 30 minutes away if you need something. :) Hope you're liking your new place.